Central Valley Justice Coalition, on behalf of Jamelia Hinds VIcks, is grateful for the many who want to advocate for justice for Jamelia’s case. Please be advised our agency is first and foremost concerned with the safety of all individuals involved. This includes those who are victims of crime and those who have committed crimes.
The Coalition is making the following statement regarding Jamelia’s story:
- We do not condemn or hold Buchanan High School, or any staff past or present, responsible for Jamelia’s story. The Coalition makes no claims about the response of Buchanan High and if you have questions regarding their response contact their office or our office directly at 559-725-1865. The community as a whole failed Jamelia, not one person or institution, and we created the video to encourage us ALL to learn the signs of trafficking and abuse, report them, and take peaceful action to work towards justice for all.
- As the Justice Coalition, we do not take justice into our own hands but we work side by side with the Vice Unit of Fresno Police Department to ensure the safety of all victims and survivors. All matters should be taken directly to law enforcement by contacting the Vice Unit / Fresno Police at 621-7000. For your safety do not take any action on this case.
- Report any concern or questions relating to other human trafficking cases to the National Human Trafficking Hotline at 888-373-7888 or our local resource line 559-725-1865. For your safety, do not investigate or intervene without training. Contact the hotline (24-7),law enforcement or our agency directly at 559-725-1865.
- The Justice Coalition is anti-violence. We believe that violence is perpetuated by violence. When injustice occurs, our response of demanding change comes through taking peaceful steps of action. We work to bring systemic change. We advocate for survivors and provide scholarships and emergency aid, and we seek to make their voices heard. We will never promote a violent act, as those are the very actions that victimize others.
- Our mission in sharing Freedom Stories includes a commitment to avoid the the retraumatization of those who have been victimized. Please respect Jamelia’s privacy and that of her family. If you wish to help Jamelia directly, you may leave her a message on our Resource Line at 559-725-1865. One of us or Jamelia herself will respond as we are able.
ABOUT THE VIDEO:
No footage of real locations were used in the video for the safety of all involved.
Visit our Take Action page for ways you can respond that help abolish slavery and make sure what happened to Jamelia does not happen to others.