California Against Slavery just launched a petition drive for the California Against Sexual Exploitation Act. See our previous post for more information.
Like to help gain signatures so that this initiative can make it on the November ballot and live in the Fresno or Tulare County area? Sign up on the CAS website, then contact your county’s CAS Volunteer Leader
Natischa of Faith.Hope.Love is the new coordinator for Fresno County and can be reached at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Brandi of Central Valley Justice Coalition is the contact for Tulare County and may be reached at 725-1865 or email@example.com
California Against Slavery has just launched their petition campaign to get their initiative, California Against Sexual Exploitation Act, on the November 2012 ballot.
If passed the CASE Act will
-Increase prison terms for human traffickers. ( the maximum sentence is 8 years. they are seeking a maximum of life.)
– Increase fines for human traffickers, up to $1.5M to fund victim services
– Remove the need to prove force to prosecute sex trafficking of a minor. (By federal law, a minor involved in commercial sexual exploitation is a human trafficking victim, regardless if force, fraud, or coercion were or were not involved.)
– Mandate human trafficking training for law enforcement
– Make sex traffickers register as sex offenders
– Require all sex offenders to disclose internet accounts
– Prohibits use of sexual history to impeach or prove criminal liability of trafficked victims.
See full text here.
We need volunteers in the Central Valley to help gain enough petitions for the initiative to make it on the November ballot. If you are interested in getting involved in any way, please sign up on the California Against Slavery website.